- 7083A PS Plus freebie, I guess this is an OK way to experience the events of the original Resident Evil. When selecting a difficulty, I chose the default, which was the most difficult one. I hope it's not too hard. I also chose Jill Valentine, which is supposed to be the easier of the two characters.
- 7084'Enter the Survival Horror'. I guess that's where that term came from.
- 7085According to the 'Now Playing' block on my PS4, I'm playing on 'Normal' difficulty.
- 7086Argh, I died trying to stab a zombie with the Combat Knife and I hadn't saved yet. I should remember saving.
- 9216I'm back in, playing with Jill on Easy difficulty (no. 2 option in the initial difficulty selection). My selection of difficulty was based on recommendations on Reddit.
- 9217I started out overly conservative with Ink Ribbon and Green Herb usage, and died a couple of times. For the longest time, I couldn't find a room with an Item Box, which was frustrating because my inventory was full. I played for over an hour before I found it, right after I was almost a Jill Sandwich, a classic line from the original game that was changed for this version. The room with the Item Box has calming music with harp or guitar arpeggios in it, similarly to later games, but that doesn't seem to be in the original game.
- 9218The herbs seem to have less interesting uses in this game, they pretty much just combine to save space, not to increase their combined effect. The exception is Red and Green Herbs combining to have the same effect as 3 x Green Herbs.
- 9219I finished off some zombies by setting them on fire. I should take care not to stand in the fire. :) I went down into the disgusting basement, which reminds me of the basement in RE7. The elevator is without power, of course. I found a dog whistle and summoned a couple of zombie dogs, one of which had an 'Imitation of a key', that I swapped for the Armor Key. Now the game is opening up. I also encountered my first Crimson Head, an especially aggressive mutation of a normal zombie. I got the Grenade Launcher from (un)dead S.T.A.R.S member, Forest. Another member, Richard, needs serum, which is on the 1F west wing. Richard is in the south-east end of 2F. Closeby is a room with poison gas, don't know what to do about that.
- 9220I found the score for Moonlight Sonata, but I don't know what to do with it. I had a great moment of panic, when four zombies suddenly burst through the windows. I ran and made my way around the area, and returned after having retrieved the shotgun, quickly dispatching the horde. I aimed down and shot the foot off a zombie, which made it fall down, always a cool feature in these games. I think I found the room where the Serum is supposed to be, but I wasn't able to find any. There was a room with a gross plant monster and a watering system. Don't know what to do with that. I used the Blue Gemstone in a tiger head on 1F west and got some shotgun shells. Also, I shot a bee with a pistol (which is pretty impressive) and got a Wind Crest. I also have a Death Mask, that has to be for the statues where I found the book that contained the first key.
- 9221I should get the herbicide from 1F NW to kill the plant thing, and the Serum is still supposed to be in the room with the Item Box. I can't believe I missed it, I clicked on everything.
- 9222I understand why I couldn't get the Serum: Richard is dead - apparently, there is a deadline for that guy. I poisoned the plant monster and got another Death Mask. I found the rest of the Moonlight Sonata and got the golden crest, which I used to open the clock, set it to 6:00 and got the Shield Key. I did the wrong thing at the light puzzle and almost got murdered by a murder of crows, because I was out of ammo for the pistol. I used the Shield Key to get to the attic, and was attacked by a giant snake. I fired my 6 shotgun shells at it, and then slowly stabbed it to death with my knife. I was poisoned, which turned out to be a story moment (I think), and woke up in the Serum room. I did the light puzzle correctly without the crows attacking me, and got the final Death Mask. I used all four masks to open the ominous coffin containing the 'Crimson Head Prototype 1' boss zombie. He died after a couple of shotgun shots and an tazer electrocution.
- 9231I explored the garden and residence areas, very cool and tense atmosphere, and a scary sequence with the seemingly unkillable Lisa Trevor, the horribly mutated patient zero zombie. Later on, I had to deal with jump scare-floor tentacles, evil bees, giant spiders, sharks, and plant monsters. They just throw everything at you in this section of the game.
- 9232First, a stressful situation in the control room, because I hadn't read some documents, resolved by me randomly picking the correct option out of three. Then, I electrocuted a giant shark. The three-number code puzzle seemed to be way more spelled out than it needed to be - possibly simplified from the original game? Then, I guessed my way through the whole mixing liquid puzzle without reading the description of what it was, because I hadn't figured out how to kill the bees yet. Anyway, I used V-JOLT to poison the giant mutated Plant 42, and was treated to a cutscene with Barry saving me with a flamethrower. Shortly after, Wesker showed up and told some lies about Barry. What's important, though, is that I now have the Helmet key for the Mansion.
- 9236I'm very tired from the trip from Fjerritslev to Copenhagen, but I managed to squeeze in an hour of Resident Evil. Hunters have shown up, and are creating chaos in the mansion. Weird frog creatures.
- 9240I celebrated Halloween with a bit of Resident Evil. I killed a big snake, and unlocked the final doors in the mansion. And then I didn't know where to go.
- 9246I went into the horrible Lisa's Den and evaded Indiana Jones-style rolling rocks, giant spiders, was betrayed by Barry, and evaded Lisa, who seems like the Nemesis of this game. I found a flamethrower that I couldn't use, which was disappointing. I now have a Stone Ring that should enable me to open the door back in the Mansion.
- 9247The Stone Ring allowed me access to the Lab, where Barry betrays Jill. You have the option of giving him his gun back, when Lisa shows up, and I did. It got me a trophy, and I feel I should save scum and try that again, and see if it gets me another one. Anyway, Lisa grabs what is apparently her mother's skull, and jumps down into the abyss. The two medallions turned a big water fountain into a passage down to the lab. The lab contained a note from 'John' to 'Ada', who was supposed to blow up the lab. 'John' has apparently turned into a zombie, and Ada ... I guess she doesn't show up before RE2? I like the ROPLS system, a hideous 90s looking computer system, where you can unlock doors using passwords. Maybe I just like fake computers in video games. I've used a MiniDisc in a drive to unlock 1 out of 3 locks. There was an x-ray puzzle, where the patients are named alphabetically, and you get an order of infected organs, spelling out 'CELL'. Apparently, the name thing didn't test well, and in this version there is a tip that just tells you that the names should be in order. I might have figured that out myself, since they are named ALEX BECHET, CLARK DAVID, ED FISHER, and GAIL HOLLAND. I climbed into an air vent and had my first encounter with the half-fly, half-human Chimera (they don't look like Jeff Goldblum at all). I found another save area.
- 9248Completed the game with Jill on Easy difficulty. Barry and Wesker re-betrayed Jill, and unleashed the Tyrant. Wesker looked dead, but then he was gone, I released Chris from his cell, and faced the Tyrant, which couldn't deal with my Magnum and the Rocket Launcher. I saved both Chris and Barry, which got me a trophy.
- 9249And then some extremely blurry credits. I think it's the original GameCube 640x480 credits, possibly cropped to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio, which becomse 640x360.
- 9260GameFAQs has a nice map.
- 9278I started a new game on normal difficulty with Chris Redfield.