- 6469The demo was out, and I tried it in a coffee break at work. It's seem very Dark Souls-y, maybe with some Onimusha in there as well. Neither the frame rate nor the graphics was all that great, but the core gameplay seemed entertaining and challenging enough that I would give the finished game a shot.
- 7475I saw a cool slime enemy in a live IGN stream, checked the Coolshop page, and bought it. That's 529 DKK less on my bank account.
- 7477I had a visit from Jeppe, Kjetil, Nabaz, Jonas, and later Maria, and Nabaz, Jeppe and I tried playing through the first half of the Tower of London. Nabaz wasn't impressed, but Jeppe seemed convinced that he wanted the game for himself.
- 7478I completed the tutorial and the fisherman's village level. The big demon guy with two swords was horrible, and I had to sneak around him. I'm using a big axe as my main weapon, with a big katana as a backup. The fight against Onryoki went pretty well. Now, why does Hanzo use a cat as a pocket watch?
- 7515How to quit a mission? Himorogi Fragments allow you to quit a mission and return to the map at the cost of all your Amrita (similar to Darksign in DS), Himorogi Fragments allow you to do it without losing Amrita (similar to Homeward Bone in DS).
- 7516I was stuck on Hino-enma, the Bat Lady for a while, she was an incredible difficulty spike so early in the game. When I finally beat her by carefully dodging her paralysis attacks, blocking her spinning attack, and avoiding everything else, the game opened up and became very enjoyable.
- 7517I enjoy the side missions, having a new challenge in a layout I already am familiar with feels good.
- 7519I completed mission 4, a very cool two-part mission that starts out in a rainy courtyard, and proceeds into the dungeons beneath a castle. The boss creature Nue guarded the second area, and I managed to destroy it on my first attempt. The dungeons were guarded by a Terracotta Army, but the real enemy was my lack of a sense of direction, and I wandered around for a long while before figuring out the eye-thing that opened the locked doors. In my defense, the Bloodborne chalice dungeon-like area was a bit confusing to figure out. The final boss, Tachibana Muneshige, also was defeated in my first attempt.
- 7520It was twilight, and I wanted to try a twilight mission. It seemed like an exact copy of the mission with the Bat Lady, with harder enemies. The Bat Lady fight was already too hard, and it was too annoying to fight her again, so I quit.
- 7521The ship for the next region appeared on the map, but I wanted to clean up what was left. There was a mission in a new cool mountain area, and then a boss fight with Tachibana Muneshige. He was hard, as he could drain my Ki with a single combo and then kill me. My strategy ended up being: a) baiting out normal attacks and punishing him with a short combo, b) avoiding or dodging through (not blocking) his charged attacks, c) pressuring him with his Ki was low to try and stun him, grab him, and follow up with a high stance attack for maximum damage.
- 7522I set sail for the Chugoku Region, and spent a couple of hours in the poison mines, a very Souls-y area. I ended up facing the Giant Centipede, which was an annoying boss fight of running around a pillar, waiting for an opening, and getting in an attack whenever the opportunity arose.
- 7867Getting back into the groove that is Nioh is a bit intimidating. So many systems.
- 8207Without intending to, I played Nioh the whole day. It's very enjoyable while also being frustratingly hard. I finished the Chugoku Region, defeating the Blob boss with lots of fire attacks, discovering too late that you can apply fire to your weapon from the burning pyres in the boss arena. Oh well. I moved on to the spidery Kinki Region, and fought a spiderlady. Every boss fight seems to be a monster lady. Someone at Team Ninja has an unhealthy fixation, I guess.
- 8209The Dojo had a tutorial where you use the Sloth power, which is a *big* help with the bosses. A real game-changer. I got the 'Sloth Talisman' and acquired the ability to equip more spells with the skill 'Incantation Mastery'. I should focus on leveling these up as soon as I can.
- 8210Damn, I streamed Nioh for 9 hours and had 129 viewers along the way. Crazy.
- 8212After a million deaths, I finally beat Yuki-onna using all the magic and tricks at my disposal. Afterwards, I went back and played some earlier missions to try to level up a bit more.
- 8219I played a couple of more missions.
- 8222I fought a tricky duel with Li Naomasa.
- 8225The cat spirit absorbing the evil spirits and turning into a giant cat monster was fun. I have proceeded to the Tokai region.
- 12419Oh no! When starting the game on the PS5, my cloud save is from June 2017. I need to dig out my save game from my PS4.