- 3547After a lot of digging for a runnable version of Mike Mayfield's original Star Trek game, I found Michael Birken's version, seemingly a straight port of the original SDS Sigma 7 BASIC game to C#. This is the oldest computer game I have played yet.
- 3550After a few humble attempts at figuring out the systems of this ancient game, I think I got the hang of it. I'm traveling around the galaxy at warp speed, exploring the galactic map, destroying Klingon warbirds with carefully aimed photon torpedos, and regularly returning to a Federation star base to recharge and repair. I'm playing the C# game on my Linux server, accessible from everywhere, which means I can take a few actions during a coffee break or before I go to sleep. I still have 6/17 Klingons left to kill...
- 3552'IT IS STARDATE 2131 THERE ARE STILL 4 KLINGON BATTLE CRUISERS'. Damn it.
- 3553I discovered the PHOTON TORPEDO DATA CALCULATOR which trivializes aiming (as long as the LIBRARY COMPUTER is working). The game is now all about resource management and battle tactics.
- 3554It's pretty cool that you have to micro-navigate away from stars and other stuff, before you can make a warp jump.
- 35558 Klingons left...
- 3556Damn! Damn! I forgot to recharge my shield after docking with a star base, so I went into battle with two Klingon Battle Cruisers, and got shot to bits. The manual recharging of shields is *not* my favourite feature of the game...
- 3571Michael Birken's implementation seem to completely ignore random SEED.
- 3572OK, I started a game with 11 'KINGONS' and 3 STARBASES ... should be doable.
- 3573Completed the game.
COMMAND 4 TORPEDO COURSE (1-9) 5 TORPEDO TRACK: 2,3 1,3 *** KLINGON DESTROYED *** THE LAST KLIGON BATTLE CRUISER IN THE GALAXY HAS BEEN DESTROYED THE FEDERATION HAS BEEN SAVED !!!
- 3575Got the score 611.
- 8406I tried to play this again, but had trouble with movement. After a short bit of debugging, I figured out decimal points were being incorrectly parsed due to stupid danish locale settings. I fixed it in Michael Birken's C# translation, and while I was in there, I fixed that you can enter a random seed to be able to replay a specific level. I made it so that entering '-1' or no number results in a normal timed-based random seed.
- 8407Completed the game and got the score: 588.
- 8408Completed the game and got the score: 818.