- 799So today was the day when I unboxed my used US SNES from LukieGames. It had been a long time underway, stopping a week in Kastrup for sales tax and the slow wheels of the rusty behemoth that is the danish post office and government. I received it yesterday and today I got a voltage converter for the power supply, courtesy of Brinck Elektronik. Back in from a walk in the cold streets of Copenhagen, at the Tonic Games Højbro Plads office, I connected the console and inserted my Super Mario World cartridge for the first time. Nothing happened. Black screen. We tested that we had the right input on the TV, and all the cables were correctly connected, and rebooted a few times. I was beginning to think that it wouldn't work with the office TV at all, but still tried the Super Street Fighter II cartridge. Immediately, the Capcom logo was on the screen, and soon I was looking at Ryu in awesome SNES graphics. I played a few rounds with my colleagues Jeppe Nielsen and Michal Trzos (kicking their asses), after which I tried the other games I bought, Gradius III, Super R-Type, Mega Man X, Super Castlevania IV, and Zelda: A Link to the Past. All worked. Back to Super Mario World, which still didn't work. Remembering the Angry Video Game Nerd, I tried the magic incantations of blowing on the cartridge contacts, and brushing them with my T-shirt. I inserted the cartridge back into the console, and presto, Super Mario was ready. Now, I have installed the old grey box in my living room, and I'm ready for some good old games.
- 1274Completed Yoshi's Island (1/8). Weird save game structure.
- 2189Played Yoshi's Island again...
- 2198Completed Vanilla Dome (3/8). This game is so charming.
- 2206Completed The Twin Bridges (4/8).
- 2605Played a couple of levels between working on some music for 140. Jeppe was there and noticed my exceptionally poor Super Mario skills.
- 2620I'm having a lot of trouble getting to the second exit of Chocolate Island 3. Despite the name, it is an incredibly punishing level. I went to the Forest of Illusion 1 to get some lives and a Yoshi. Should make it a bit easier.
- 2621Hmm... That didn't help. But what might help, is that you can go into a (possibly checkpointed) level, pickup a red mushroom, exit out of the level, and go right back in, now with a big Mario.
- 2622Yes! Got it! Cape controls: hold dash button, press left to go up, right to go down.
- 2623OK, I have ground out 69 lives in Forest of Illusion 1, so I should be ready for the Chocolate Fortress...
- 2624YES! I finally defeated the hilariously ugly rotating dinosaur wheel boss, it only took me 26 lives. And now I have 625230 points :D.
- 8125Completed Sunken Ghost Ship (7/8). I've been stuck on the Sunken Ghost Ship forever, now I finally beat the annoying ghost swimming stuff.
- 12233Malu and I started playing Super Mario World on the MiSTer. We're playing 2 player with Mario and Luigi, slowly making progress through the worlds.
- 12234We finished the Vanilla Dome and the Twin Bridges, and are now in the Forest of Illusion. This game is so fun, and it's very interesting to dig into the mechanics, which are incredibly deep for this kind of game.
- 12243We managed to get past the rotating dino boss.
- 13406We are playing back and forth, while I was attacking Larry's Castle, Malu took it upon herself to farm lives in the bonus room of the first part of 'Valley of Bowser 3'. I ended up beating Larry's Castle.
- 13407Completed the game. With the support of the life farming, we slowly learned to get through rooms 2 and 8 of Bowser's Castle, and I ended up beating the game after many deaths.